Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Worst Music Video Ever

Corey Hart’s, “Sunglasses at Night,” video I believe is the worst video of all time. The locations that he is in are completely bizarre. At first he is in what I think is his room, ad then it moves to some random alley way, then to a jail. When he is in the alley often some form of law enforcement is chasing him. In the jail there are multiple people who have on their sunglasses at night, and there is even a child in the jail. I’m not sure if that is supposed to be a comical reference or not. The child also stamps some paper work for others in the jail. There is a woman in the jail and you could assume that there is a connection between her and Corey Hart.
Corey in the video is also hilariously awful. He has on black pants and shoes and a white shirt that is unbuttoned down the front. He also appears to be sweaty, I’m not sure if they want him to look nervous or if that was supposed to invoke some sort of sex appeal to those interested in stalkers. They lyrics that he sings are very questionable, “I wear my sunglasses at night so I can see you.” Why does he want to watch you all the time? How is it possible to see someone with sunglasses at night isn’t it hard enough to see them at night anyway? He also has possibly the worst dance moves I’ve ever seen. It is simply a strong rock back and fourth, which he does on many occasions even in the jail cell. Corey Hart could also be a magician due to the magical appearance of his sunglasses when he sits up in his bed. It is unclear to me if he is singing to the law enforcement woman or not, or if she is aware that he is stalking her and that’s why she is trying to put him in the jail. Overall I find this to be the worst video ever because it is confusing and also possibly one of the worst songs of all time.

3 comments:

dylann said...

Did you know that this song is more about a totalitarian society? What if you looked at the video from this point of view? He wears sunglasses because that is what they want him to wear. The video represents a police state, which means the same thing as totalitarian government. When he dose not have his sunglasses on he is running and worried, but when he has his sunglasses on he is ok and no one cares what he is doing. When he has his shades on he does not like it. I would say this is true for most people under these kinds of governments. What do you think of the video now?

eduff said...

I agree with your writing about the video "Sunglasses at Night," it is very bizarre and different. It is definitely not one that I would want to watch again. I as well don't really understand the point of wearing the sunglasses at night, but maybe I am just missing the whole point of the songs meaning but it does not hold my attention, and seems to be unrelatable to me. I really like what you wrote about the video and had the same point of view as you did.

Whitney Villines said...

This video was very confusing to me also. I guess I did not understand the deeper meaning to it. I sure Corey Hart was trying to make a point about something very serious, but some reason I just could pick up on it. I was very distracted by the hideous dance moves as well. I keep thinking maybe he has to pee or he is one of the mental patience you see sometimes that start rocking back and forth very hard when they are upset or angry. Anyway this video was very weird and I also did not see what kids had to do with it either.