Sunday, November 11, 2007

Favorite Music Video

I would have to say that Incubus is one of my favorite bands. I stated listening to them in 6th grade and haven’t been able to stop myself since. I chose the music video, “Drive” because the video conveys the message that the song is about. Although, “Drive” isn’t one of my favorite songs because it is so mainstream I still really like it. Most of their videos don’t even appear on T.V., but “Drive” did often when it was popular.
In the very beginning of the video there are two hands drawing each other to start the theme of the video. Then the hands draw the lead singer, Brandon Boyd. It also draws the other members of the band. They are creating themselves on paper. The song becomes more dynamic when the worlds, “I should be the one behind the wheel,” are sung. It then goes on to say, “Whatever tomorrow brings I’ll be there, with open arms and open eyes.” They want to keep an open mind and be ready for whatever life throws at them. They say, “When I drive myself my light is found.” They don’t want to conform to what everyone else is, they want to break out and be different. They are also trying to convey this point to their fans and listeners. They say that being a follower, “seems to be the way that everyone else gets around.” Throughout the video Brandon seems to be frustrated because he doesn’t want to fit the social conforms that are expected of him. At the end the pictures are crossed out, thrown, and tore up. This represents him taking his own way. They are taking the frustrations that they have about not wanted to be what other people think of them and literally throwing them away. I think it conveys a good message about being your own person and sticking to what you believe in and not trying to be something just because everyone is doing it or you think it is expected of you.

3 comments:

Tristan said...

I really enjoyed watching this music video. I’ve always really liked Incubus too, and surprisingly I have never seen this video before. This was my class song, so that makes it important to me and seeing the video; I thought it was very cool. I loved how the beginning starts with them drawing the hands and then the singer and everything. It was very unique. I really liked how you used quotes from the song and explained how the song reinforced those lines and explained them. I think the style and techniques used in the video really match the message of the song.

dylann said...

I would have to agree with you because incubus is also one of my favorite bands. I liked how you explained the message they are trying to convey. I believe that your analysis was right on with what the band was trying to write about. I also like their message of being your own person. Take the wheel and drive your own life. I think you covered the entire video well from the visual to the lyrics. The only thing I would suggest would be to add more examples, like other visual things that happened in the video. Good interpretation.

Meghan Koehn said...

Wow! I have never seen this video before. I thought it was very interesting. My favorite parts were the ones where he was drawing himself. I really though it was cool that they gradually took on animation and came alive. I alos really liked this video bcause it was a song that I had heard before and coulf relate to it. It really made my night to be able to listen to this song. It made the assignment really fun.